Eating a protein bar is one of the most convenient ways to ensure your muscles get the fuel they need to rebuild after a tough workout. There’s no mixing, shaking or cooking required – you just unwrap and chow down.
However, the bars can be quite pricy and they’re not always the most palatable of snacks, with some doing a fine job of approximating both the taste and texture of cardboard.
To ensure your high-protein snack is of the highest quality, why not try making it yourself by following this recipe from ROS Nutrition. The combination of nuts, seeds, oats, dates and protein powder is a winning one, packing in 13g protein per serving for just 220 calories.
RECOMMENDED: How To Make Damn Good Protein Flapjacks
Macadamia and Pumpkin Seed Bar With Protein Fudge Recipe
Ingredients (makes four servings)
- 35g chocolate whey protein powder
- 3tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3tbsp macadamia nuts
- 3tbsp oats
- 1tbsp almond butter
- 3 tbsp (45ml) almond milk
- 6-7 pitted dates
- To make the fudge heat the almond butter and the almond milk in a microwave for 40sec, then mix in the whey protein powder with a fork. Once it’s soft and dough-like pop it in the freezer for 40min.
- Put the macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, oats and dates into a food processor and blend until they form a slightly sticky paste that can hold its shape. Add one or two more dates, or some almond butter, to the mix if it’s not sticking (this will raise the calorie count).
- Spread the nut mixture out in a small, square baking tray, pressing it into all corners. Grab your fudge from the freezer, roll it out, and then place it over and gently press it into the nut mixture.
- Put the whole shebang into the fridge for a few hours until it’s good and cold, then cut it into bar shapes.
Nutritional Info (Per Serving)
- Calories 220
- Protein 13g
- Carbohydrate 15g
- Fats 12g
Nutritional info is based on the use of ROS Nutrition’s Blue Label Whey. £23.59 for 908g, buy on rosnutrition.com