What did you have for lunch today? Did it taste fresh? Did it have a creamy richness? Was there the satisfying crunch of salad leaves? Plump prawns? Or was it greasy and grim? That’s a shame, but tomorrow’s another day. The day, in fact, that you treat yourself to this frankly drool-worthy wrap of prawns, avocado, tomato, feta and trimmings.
It’s one of the recipes included in Speedo’s Mind Body Swim program, a series of workouts, meal plans and sleep tips that can help with not one, but four fitness goals scaled to your current level. In fact, it’s from the intermediate-level improve fitness plan if you want to check it out.
It’s also a recipe by Anita Bean, author of one of our go-to recipe books, The Runner’s Cookbook. It’s become a firm favourite chez Coach because – and we’ve put these reasons in order of importance – the dishes are easy to make, use ingredients you can buy in any express supermarket outpost, are tasty as heck, and are well-balanced and healthy.
Do those four things apply to this recipe? Let’s look and see. Easy to make? The only way this takes more than five minutes to pull together is if you fall victim to avocado hand. Easy to find ingredients? We’d say so. Easy to shove down your gullet? Put it this way, we’re angry that we’re writing this after lunch and have to wait until tomorrow to try it. And is it well-balanced and healthy? Looks like it to us, especially as it’s under the 600-calorie limit for lunches that Public Health England recommends.
So what’s stopping you? Nothing, that’s what.
Prawn And Avocado Wrap Recipe
Ingredients (Serves One)
- ½ ripe avocado, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 soft wholemeal tortilla wrap
- handful salad leaves
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 25g feta, crumbled
- 75g cooked and peeled prawns (substitute falafel for a vegetarian version)
- Put the avocado in a bowl with the lemon or lime juice. Roughly mash, then add the tomato, coriander and seasoning.
- Warm the wrap in the microwave for a few seconds. Spread the avocado mixture down the middle, scatter over the salad leaves, spring onion and feta, and finish with the prawns. Roll up and serve.
Nutrition: 452 calories, 22g protein, 32g carbs, 24g fat