Protein shakes and coffee are probably the two drinks most beloved by gym-goers of all stripes. Coffee to perk you up pre-workout and a protein shake to refuel your muscles afterwards. Two excellent drinks and a pairing that can be combined into one all-conquering summer superdrink. Just use this iced coffee recipe from Multipower ambassador David Templer.
“Enjoy this iced coffee drink as an afternoon pick-me-up or drink it 30 minutes before your workout to give you a boost while packing in the protein,” says Templer.
The recipe below suggests using vanilla flavour protein powder, but Templer says mocha or chocolate powder would work too.
Ingredients (Serves One)
- 30g vanilla whey protein powder
- 300ml milk (of your preference, Templer recommends coconut or unsweetened almond milk)
- The preparation starts the night before. Make a regular hot coffee (as strong as you like) and then pour it into a ice tray. Pop the coffee in the freezer overnight so it turns into ice cubes of coffee. Make a lot if you want to enjoy iced coffee all week long.
- Mix 30g of vanilla whey protein powder with 300ml of your choice of milk and give it a shake until the protein and milk have blended together. Use milk that’s at room temperature if possible so the coffee ice cubes of melt sooner.
- Pop your coffee cubes out of the tray and into a glass, then pour the milk mixture over. Top it up with normal ice if needed or if you want a weaker coffee.
Using 300ml coconut milk Calories: 174
French vanilla whey protein powder is available from Multipower, £27 for 900g (reduced to £20 at time of publication), buy on multipower.com